Thursday, December 1, 2011

Good hair day!

The notorious T.W.I.S.T. sat still for one and one half hours to get her "do" done! I cannot believe it. No tears, no frets, she just sat there. She did have three breaks (snack, potty and stretch) but all in all she did an amazing job. Hats off to baby girl!

Today we tried something new. This is our version of mini braids (or semi-mini braids if I have to be perfectly honest; she does not yet have the patience for mini-mini braids). Today is day one of our experiment to see just how long my twisty, turning, blankie toting, rug rolling, little munchkin can keep this hair style looking good.

I think that this look is an awesome break for moms who just don’t have the time (or desire) to style hair daily. Yes, it takes quite a while to create the initial style, but once complete you should not have to re-style for at least a week (let’s keep our fingers crossed for two).

How to create this look

- Hair was washed approximately 7 days ago (every one’s school of thought varies on shampoo frequency, however, I personally believe less is more if the child’s hair is dry like my girls).

- At the time of shampooing, hair was cleansed with Nexxus Humecto Shampoo and conditioned with Mizani Moisturefuse. It was moisturized with Red’s Kitchen Sink’s, Beaucoup Hair, Herbal Hair Souffle and Luster’s Pink oil Moisturizer and braided in no special formation.

- Hair was unbraided and parted into sections. DISCLAIMER: THE PARTS ARE NOT NEARLY AS STRAIGHT AS THEY COULD BE (sorry Mommy) but I mean I am working with a two year old after all. She can’t keep her head super still…she did the best she could, I guess ;-).

- Hair was moisturized the old school way today with water, that blue grease (you all know) and Pink Oil Moisturizer. To smooth the edges and “fly aways” I used just a sparing amount of Motions At Home, Moisture Enhancing Hairdressing (this product says no build-up on the jar, but it builds up tremendously and it is very sticky, so do not distribute throughout the hair unless you want “gummy” hair).

- I did an over hand “plait” or braid today. The under-hand braid usually is the technique of choice for bigger braids (they lie smoother), but I actually like the over-hand for small braids, plus I can go much faster with the over-hand than the under-hand (and we have to go as fast as possible when dealing with this little Missy).

- I did not braid to the end. I left about ¾ of an inch to an inch loose and let it curl up at the end giving the look a little detail.

- One final note, I parted the hair in a box braid formation so that the braids could move freely and so that they could be modified into different styles later on (i.e., pulled into a pony)

So there you have it! We had such a good hair day today! Now let’s see how long this style will last and how many iterations we can squeeze out of it before it’s all said and done.

I could not get her to stop and let me take a picture, so I had to wait until she was having snack, hence the reason she is stuffing her little mouth full of food in almost every picture. That is also the reason for the orange hue around her mouth J


"I'm Just not feeling it Mommy..."


A rare smile




 She said "No Pictures Mommy!"



 Caught her in mid stride, trying to run as fast as she could.

 Shiny, curly braids...healthy hair is so pretty!

Check back to see how long it lasts...

Keep up with us on Facebook!



377676_Winter Clearance Sale! Save an extra 20% off in clearance.* Use code: DEC434

Holiday Deals: $10 or Less

Top sellers

http://www.ptouchdirect.com/brother_ptouch_label_printers.html

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    gummy hair

    ReplyDelete