Friday, December 9, 2011

Try this tip to stave off an itchy belly

First off, we had an awesome hair day today! There was minimum shedding and lots of shine and body. Those dreadful ends are still sloughing off, but this will be the case until they are all said and done (which will hopefully be soon). My older daughter’s hair is looking so lustrous these days and I contribute it (at least in part) to the addition of olive oil to our hair care program. Even she has noticed a difference (and that’s the most important part).

Today, we did a throwback style. I like to call it old school, because I can look back at any given picture of myself as a child and I may just be sporting this exact same look (minus the twist in the front). Her face shape is like mine, so the look even more so brings back all sorts of memories of me sitting on my mother’s kitchen table with that blue grease near by. My mother was ever so meticulous, she parted each section just so, and groomed my hair until it was perfect. I vividly remember those days and every time I do my daughter’s hair, I reminisce.

Now that we are back from our trip down memory lane…below is our artistic hair expression for today:




back view


flat twist design in the front to add pizzazz


She's singing for joy...


But surely you are wondering what all this has to do with an itchy belly…gonna tell you right now…

How many of you have little girls who love tutus, skirts, dresses, etc? If you do, you are aware that as the winter weather conditions set in and it gets colder and harsher outside we can no longer do bare legs. No brainer right? Hold on, I’m going somewhere…

My little one hates tights! Why? Because she complains about how they roll down her belly, how they are so uncomfortable and how I apparently never (ever) place them just right. Either they are too high on the belly or too low. Here is the kicker...the complaint I hear the most… “Mommy, these things make my belly itchy!!”

I have had it! I have decided that we are going to remedy the problem of the “the itchy tights belly” once and for all. Here is what I do now:  

1.      I buy an outfit (still a skirt, tutu or dress)

2.      I find corresponding socks (Socks you say? Yes, socks) But not just any socks. Snazzy, colorful, tights-esque socks. Thick Cotton socks. Long socks, that on you or me would be knee high-ish.

3.      The socks are usually the smallest size in girls or women. These are not toddler socks nor can they be found in the toddler or baby section.

4.      Here’s why they fit perfectly...because a knee high on me becomes a super high, thigh high on her and they are just the perfect length to simulate tights, when all you really want is the “look” of tights not the itchy waist band.

5.      What to do about the heel? The heel problem is remedied two ways, one, wash and dry the sock in the dryer so the sock will shrink a little. Two, just adjust the heel to where it is on her heel and there is a little extra room in the toe area. I promise it is not a big deal.



Kind of a little quirky I know, but it works! Below is an example:


while standing, these socks look like tights



sitting these socks look like tights


I am sure there is no need to patent the idea and it does not require a copyright. I know I am not going to win the Nobel Prize for discovering how to remedy “itchy tights belly”, but hey, it sure is a discovery that saves me the grief of hearing “My Belly is itchy”. And let’s face it; it is so much nicer to see those little faces smiling rather than frowning.

below is an example of the socks

striped socks used as tights (from Target; girls sock section)


Just so you can see how much the socks look like tights I put them side by side; they look alike but without the itchy belly
;-)
tights by Crazy 8
socks from Target

Update: Still waiting, with bated breath, for the mail to come to reveal the new accessory I hinted about the other day. I hope it comes soon. Can’t wait to try it out and let you know if hair styling as we know it will be changed forever!

2 comments:

  1. oh!!!!! my Jeda look so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are two of the most preious little girls in the whole wide world. I just love them to death. not to mention how cute and adorable they are!!!! A very proud MIMI!!!Oh miss lady, I love the blog thing you got going on. I can tell this is oe of your passions. Keep em coming!!!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete