There are a WHOLE lot of products that include olive oil as its active ingredient. With most commercially manufactured goods, you will get in your container a small of amount of what is advertised and a lot of water, filler, preservative, chemicals, additives and fragrance among other things. If you want to see real results consider buying the actual product in its organic or all natural form.
Again, looking to your own cupboard could prove beneficial. If you own a bottle of extra virgin olive oil then you are on your way.
Simple tips to use olive oil effectively as a hair care product
*Use like a hot oil treatment prior to shampooing
1. Pour extra virgin olive oil in a glass container (mug or cup); about 1/4 cup (modify as desired based on length and thickness of hair)
2. Heat in microwave until its really warm (but not too hot; BE VERY CAREFUL), usually 15-30 sec will do the trick
3. Apply to dry hair
4. Saturate hair with olive oil
5. Massage into scalp and work down hair shaft
6. Put a plastic cap on and let set for 15+ minutes (I usually leave it on my girls for up to 30 mins if they don't pull it off)
7. Shampoo as usual (you will have to shampoo at least 2-3 times as the oil is heavy)
8. Style as usual
Note: You can also apply olive oil as a hair dress after hair has been shampooed. It will add shine and moisture, but please use sparingly in this case as it can weigh hair down.
I do use some of the popular beauty supply olive oil products as well, but I’ve seen greater and more noticeable improvements with E.V.O.O. (Rachael Ray J).